In the realm of audio effects, reverberation takes on a myriad of forms and flavors. Among these, FabFilter Pro-R 2 stands as a notable contender, boasting exceptional sound quality. Its prowess lies in its ability to faithfully replicate not only natural acoustic spaces but also iconic vintage and plate reverbs, seamlessly integrating into any mix.
FabFilter recently unveiled the Pro-R 2 reverb plug-in, marking a significant evolution of its esteemed Pro-R predecessor. Pro-R 2 introduces a host of cutting-edge features, such as comprehensive multichannel compatibility, two fresh reverb algorithms, impulse response (IR) import and emulation, dynamic ducking and gating capabilities, analog-style saturation, and more. This technological leap forward enhances the plug-in's functionality without compromising its intuitive workflow and impeccable sound quality, cherished by Pro-R users.
Embracing the realm of immersive audio, Pro-R 2 allows users to position reverbs within a three-dimensional soundscape, supporting channel layouts up to 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos. The plug-in seamlessly adapts to multichannel formats, and it empowers users with the ability to apply individual Decay Rate and Post EQ adjustments to specific channel combinations via the innovative Speakers panel. Additionally, the Surround Settings panel simplifies the control of reverb parameters—Predelay, Character, Decay Rate, and more—between the front and rear of the immersive sound field. Extensive work has gone into implementing surround cross feeding, delivering a remarkably convincing spatial experience while maintaining a user-friendly approach that fosters creativity without complex channel routing.
Pro-R 2 introduces two new reverb algorithms, 'Vintage' and 'Plate,' to expand its sonic palette. 'Vintage' draws inspiration from classic digital reverb units of the '80s and '90s, offering long, bright, and hyper-real spatial ambiences. On the other hand, 'Plate' presents the evocative metallic timbre of plate reverb, ideal for enhancing drum and vocal sounds. These new styles push Pro-R 2 beyond the realm of realistic physical environments, venturing into captivating synthetic textures.
The addition of impulse response (IR) import further enhances Pro-R 2's versatility. Users can import impulse responses, automatically translating them into algorithmic setups that closely mirror their sonic characteristics, including Decay Rate and Post EQ shaping. This feature unlocks a wealth of possibilities, whether users seek to explore a vast library of free impulse responses online or recreate beloved vocal booths, drum rooms, or hardware reverbs within Pro-R 2.
Pro-R 2 offers an extended range of reverb parameters and controls for tailoring reverbs to specific needs. The Ducking control allows users to attenuate the wet signal in the presence of the dry signal. The Thickness knob introduces density and saturation adjustments, providing creative flexibility. The tempo-syncable Auto Gate enables rhythmic gating effects, while the Freeze button indefinitely sustains the reverb tail. Pro-R 2 equips users with everything required to achieve their unique reverberation goals.
The inclusion of a full-featured preset browser enhances user convenience. It simplifies navigation and management of both the factory library and user presets. Users can assign editable tags for efficient searching, mark presets as favorites for quick access, and include author names and descriptions. Notably, all presets from the original Pro-R are seamlessly integrated into Pro-R 2's library.
- A versatile and sonically superior professional reverb offering three core algorithms for simulating realistic physical spaces, vintage digital hardware, and electromechanical plates.
- A unified room model and Decay Time (Space) knob for seamless transitions between various reverb sizes and styles.
- An innovative Decay Rate EQ for precise tail frequency shaping and a six-band Post EQ for output equalization.
- Full immersive audio support up to 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos, with per-band Decay Rate and Post EQ channel routing, and a dedicated panel for balancing individual reverb parameter levels between the front and rear of the soundscape.
- Two new reverb algorithms: 'Vintage' for classic digital reverb tones and 'Plate' for metallic plate reverb textures.
- Impulse response (IR) import function for recreating and manipulating favorite impulse responses within Pro-R 2.
- Controls for Ducking, Thickness, Auto Gate, and Freeze for versatile reverb design.
- A user-friendly preset browser with tags, favorites, search, and filter functions, including the original Pro-R presets.
- Optional piano scale in the interactive reverb display for 'musical' EQ frequency referencing and snapping.
- Output level meters for improved monitoring.
- Increased Decay Rate range (25-400%) and the addition of Mid/Side option to Post EQ.
- Speakers settings added to Decay Rate and Post EQ for channel selection in immersive channel layouts.
- Relocation of the Predelay knob to the top section.
FabFilter Pro-R 2 is now available for purchase from our website, compatible with both Windows and macOS in VST and VST 3, Audio Units, AAX, and AudioSuite plug-in formats. Bundles featuring FabFilter Pro-R 2 alongside other FabFilter plug-ins are also available. Existing FabFilter customers can take advantage of attractive discounts when purchasing or upgrading to FabFilter Pro-R 2
System requirements encompass Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, or Vista (32-bit and 64-bit) with a VST 2/3 host, or Pro Tools, as well as macOS 10.13 or higher (64-bit only) with Intel or Apple Silicon processors, and support for Audio Units, VST 2/3 hosts, or Pro Tools.
FabFilter also extends the offer of free 30-day evaluation extensions to all its plug-ins, including Pro-R 2.